Sunday, January 29, 2017

Excerpt From a Book That Remains Unwritten #3

I think this point in my life was when I decided that all I needed to focus on was comforting myself, focusing on myself and making me happy. My whole life I had always worried about how the people around me were doing and what I could be doing in order to help them. But I reached a point in my life when those people had the chance to step up and give me back all that support I had given them because now I was the one whose life was turned upside down. I was the one who simply couldn't go on alone, the obstacle that had put itself in my path was too big to face all by myself.

These times in life are almost checkpoints for relationships. You come to this point with all of your friends and family in their place. But, once you're faced with this challenge, it becomes evident who is in your life for you, rather then what you can give them. It's a tough lesson to learn but one worth learning. It was so eye opening to see who was really there for me. People who I had expected to run stood by my side and those I had expected to be with me every step of the way had run in the opposite direction.

Going forward I decided to reevaluate all of my relationships and determine whether or not they were worth fighting for anymore. As it turned out, a lot of the ones I had been working so hard to keep were the easiest ones to let go of. They weren't worth the time and effort I had been putting into them, I wasn't getting anything in return.

When life gives you these checkpoints be sure to take full advantage of the opportunity that it really is. Learn about the people around you and determine their worth based on how they value yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment